Legendary Actor Sir Michael Caine Announces Retirement from Acting at Age 90
Iconic actor Sir Michael Caine, aged 90, has confirmed his retirement from acting in a recent radio interview following the release of his final film, ‘The Great Escaper,’ on October 6. Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today show, Caine stated, “I keep saying I’m going to retire. Well, I am now.” The acclaimed actor expressed contentment with his last film, acknowledging that further roles would likely be limited to portrayals of elderly characters.
Caine’s retirement decision followed hints he dropped in an interview last month, where he discussed his latest role as World War II veteran Bernard Jordan in ‘The Great Escaper.’ He emphasized the importance of depicting old age in movies, reflecting on his own vitality despite his advanced years. The actor revealed plans to focus on his writing, with his debut thriller ‘Deadly Game’ set for release in November.
Addressing potential returns to acting, Caine firmly stated, “No. There’ll be writing. I’ll write another book sometime because I so enjoyed writing.” He shared his enthusiasm for writing, highlighting the freedom it provides compared to the rigorous schedules of filmmaking. Caine expressed contentment in his personal life, enjoying time with his wife Shakira and adoring his grandchildren.
This retirement announcement echoes Caine’s earlier remarks in 2021 when he indicated his health challenges, particularly a spine problem affecting his mobility, influenced his decision to retire. Despite his health issues, Caine graced the red carpet at the premiere of ‘The Great Escaper’ in September, marking a poignant moment in his illustrious career.
- Steve Rogers Is Captain America No More in Avengers: Twilight
- Pete Davidson Opens SNL With Emotional Message About Israel and 9/11
- Taylor Swift Reportedly ‘Really Likes’ Travis Kelce and Doesn’t Want to Be a ‘Distraction’ to Him at Games
- Taylor Swift Makes Surprise ‘SNL’ Appearance Introducing Ice Spice After Travis Kelce Cameo
- Someone Just Took A Dump On The Show Floor Of New York Comic Con
- ‘Lessons in Chemistry’ series review: Brie Larson headlines a quaint tale that is organic, but struggles to create a bond
- ‘Suits’ streaming so successful new show being planned
- Hollywood Labor Unions Show Support For SAG-AFTRA Amid Suspended Negotiations, Urge Studios To “Make Meaningful Moves” Toward Contract
- This Love Is Blind Season 5 Couple Had Their Wedding Cut From Show